Waldman Electric Company, Inc. traces its roots to the Stitzer & Waldman Electric Company, which began operations in 1918 at 438 Penn Avenue, West Reading. At that time there were four Waldmans involved. Edward Waldman and Charles Stitzer were partners and they hired Edward's three brothers, George, William and Leon. This firm represented one of the few electrical companies in Berks County and was instrumental in helping convert the area from gas to electricity.
Electric lighting was the main domestic load during the early part of the century; therefore, a 30 ampere service was sufficient. It was a time when service personnel, carrying their tools and pipe, rode the trolley to the jobs. Pipe was often bent using the crook of a nearby tree or a convenient sewer pipe.
Along with the advent of electric appliances, Stitzer and Waldman grew, and in 1929 bought the property and constructed the building, which housed the company at 514 Penn Avenue. The company survived the Depression and kept busy with both private and commercial accounts. Commercial customers included Whitner's, where two electricians were permanently assigned on-site, Tulpehocken Dairy, Colonial Theater, St. Margaret's Church, Lutz Funeral Home, Sunshine Brewery and People's Trust. During the thirties and forties, the company did most of the wiring in Wyomissing and West Reading, most notably the private estates. The company also maintained an extensive appliance sales and service operation.
Charles Stitzer died in the late forties and Edward Waldman retired soon after. In 1950, Leon, George and William Waldman became partners in Waldman's Electric. The company's first contract was the West Reading School. The three brothers were joined by Leon's son, Leon Jr. (Red), Luther Piersol and by George's two sons. In 1952 Kitty Cranage came to Waldman's. For the next 25 years, this was the nucleus of the firm. During this period the complexion of the company changed with the phasing out of appliance sales and an increased emphasis on the contracting operations.
In 1975, Waldman's Electric reorganized as Waldman Electric Company, Inc., with Leon and Red as the sole owners and operators. Peter Waldman, Red's son, joined the company at this time. Following Red's death in 1980, Pete became chief operating officer.
Leon Waldman died in 1985 and the following year the retail store was closed to further expand the contracting business. With the closing of the store, Kitty retired and the office was moved to Leon's home in Exeter Township. At that time David Waldman, Red's younger son, joined the corporation and assumed some of the responsibilities of conducting the business.
Over the next twenty years, from the early 1980¹s when one journeyman electrician was employed to the year 2000, the company expanded and better organized it's operations and increased the average number of employees to over 30. Relations were developed with open shop general contractors; industrial customers and architects thereby generating much repeat business. With an emphasis on quality workmanship and customer satisfaction, our companies customer base continues to expand.
In 1998 David decided to leave the company and go into the excavating business. From that time to this Peter has been the sole owner and CEO
Family owned and operated since 1918.
Store for hard to find or obselete circuit breakers.
Call today to schedule an appointment.